I'm counting the days separating me from yet another visit to "The Farm". I'm leaving for a couple of weeks during which I hope we'll be able to look into a few details, get a few quotes and discuss things with Whizzie.
People who know me also know very well that I hate this time of the year. It is always a difficult time for me. I can't really concentrate on things and everything looks dull, blurred and pointless. In fact my latest attempt at cheese last night was a disaster. I forgot the heat on and what was supposed to be a Romano-like will become a Fuck-knows-what. I don't even know if it will become anything, in fact I think I killed all the flora.
So this recipe goes a little bit like this:
- Inoculate with thermophilic starter and bring 4 litres of milk to 36°C
- Add rennet
- Keep to 36°C but then forget about turning off the heat
- Suddenly remember about it and run for it
- Turn it off, break curd finely, swear a lot.
- Put in mould with a cheese cloth and press for a couple of hours, keep swearing
- Brine overnight
- Hope it will turn into something edible.